Spring is Here

Spring is Here

Wednesday 2 April 2014

The Medieval Field

Out with Roy again this week and we headed back to what we call our medieval field. The field is Maize stubble and at least 30 acres, to date we have managed to save some finds such as an early medieval harness mount, several hammered pannies of Henry III and Edward I/II, a gorgeous William III sixpence, Beehive Thimble and other various objects..

The field is due to be ploughed anytime soon so we thought we would give it one last go until after the harvest.

Finds were pretty thin on the ground really, my first decent signal of the day was an early victorian buckle probably for use on cattle or horses, not that old but a nice find all the same.

A few worn copper georgian coins came up as per the norm on most of the fields around here and the obligatory Musket Balls... I did also find a small artifact which I belive to be a partifact of a belt hanger which dates i would imagine to late medieval period.  A nice Lead bag seal also came to light which I think it probably a russian flax bale seal circa early 1800's

Then, bizarrly I had a sweet little 12-45 tone on the etrac and on turning over the sod I saw what looked like a small silver three pence.. lightly removing the mud from the coin I knew it wasnt and found myself looking at a 1917 Silver Mercury Dime.. I have always liked these coins and envied our friends over the pond digging them up all the time. I never thought I would dig one mysefl especially in a field in the middle of Cheshire.

I imagine that at some point there would have been a WW1 army camp in the vicinity and it was dropped by a soldier or by someone who had been given the coin for its silver content.. Its silver number 8 for the year though so I wasnt going to complain. 

Anyway.. thats me for this outing..

Lovely Victorian Bronze Buckle

Circa 1600-1700 incomplete cast copper-alloy Post Medieval strap fitting for a sword belt
Lead Russian Bale Seal Flax or Hemp early 1800's
 1917 American Mercury Dime ( Phillidephia Mint )


No comments:

Post a Comment