Spring is Here

Spring is Here

Sunday 6 April 2014

New land

Had a good chat with one of our landowners and we were lucky enough to be allowed on another farm belonging to a brother.. I'm sure these things happen due simply to being honest and always involving the landowner in the things you find.. Trust with farmers from my own experience of having met them through this hobby and also growing up with friends who farm is huge. A handshake and being of your word means more than anything...

Anyway.. We headed on to the new land mainly to do a reccy and to see where we were able detect. The land owner said many people had been on detecting over the years but that never means much as I think fields are never "done" 

We had a mixture of pasture and maize stubble to investigate and opted to start with the pasture..
Roy called over after just a few mnutes of starting to say he had a copper half penny but very worn which we agreed was a good sign... we both headed to the highest point of the field so we could have a good look around and see the lie of the land at that point I got a very dodgy signal which i wouldnt normally have dug but my arm was aching so I dug it for a rest :) It turned out to be a Sestertius of Hadrian circa 117-138AD Not in the best of conditions and the reverse of the coin was completely blown as it had been lain against a piece of Iron hence the dodgy signal i suppose.

A little while later Roy called me over with a lovely Silver Button find, as I am wri

ting this I thought I would try and identify the type of button and its known I think as a "blowhole" button due to the 2 holes on the underside. Secondly It might be worth a bit more rersearch as it could also be classifed as Treasure under the treasure act.. another one for Roy to take to the FLO.. Great news if it is though and that would be our 3rd between us in 12 months.

I literally walked back to my etrac and Roy shouts over again.. Walking back over to find that Roy had found a lovely little 1843 Victoria Fourpence or groat as it was also known.. The new land definitely is shaping up to be good from the early signs... 

We have yet to try at least 6 other fields of pasture and about 80 acres of maize stubble but we'll be back soon for sure...



Above
Poor example of a Roman Sestertious of Hadrian

Lovely Silver Blowhole Button Possibly 17th Century..
Queen Victoria Groat / Four Pence dated 1843





No comments:

Post a Comment