Spring is Here

Spring is Here

Thursday 10 April 2014

Club Dig in Bedford.. Definately a Roman Day

I managed to get a midweek club dig in this week in Bedfordshire. I couldnt resist really as that part of the country has a huge amount of history and always a good chance of saving something good from the ground.

Up until now in all the time I have been detecting I have found 3 Roman coins ( Yes I know its hard to believe living in Chester ) Until now..

Arrived at the dig location to find that the field we were due to go on had only been rough ploughed and that it hadnt been rolled. The organiser said not to worry as he would relocate us to a nearby location which has produced some fantastic history. In the meantime a few of us had a quick half hour wandering on the rough plough to which one chap found a stunning Penny of William I.. I imagine he was gutted to have to leave!

We headed off to the next location. I followed a car that was following a car who we thought knew where we were going.. after a few miles it turned out he was also following someone he thought was with us but it turned out to be an elderly couple going to a funeral! A few phone calls and a rough location sat nav got us to where we needed to be ( Thankfully! )

Gorgeous 40 or so acres of rolled ploughed land..

I use the Etrac on Conduct in Multitones and today had open screen, there were lots of high pitched iron squeals but once you get used to that and zone it out the etrac dosnt miss the lows grunts or mid tone which are usually roman coins or hammered coins.. Silver still gives a nice high tone but its a lot softer than the iron squeal so fairly easy to pick out.

First decent signal turned out to be a fragment of a Roman Belt Buckle, i didnt realsie exactly what it was at the time but somone identified it a bit later. The usual few buttons and bits of lead came up and then I had a nice tone which turned out to be a Roman Coin of ................  It still maintained a nice bit of detail on it.. Following that though the day I ended up with a toal of 9 roman coins, mostely minims and only 3 have some detail left..

Later in the afternoon I was passing an area where a few people had been congregating and had a very iffy but deep tone about a 14-21 but not 2 way, I thought id dig it though and so glad I did, at about 8 inches on edge was a lovely enamelled plate brooch, not in the greatest shape but after nearly 2000 years thats hardly surprising.. It still has traces of the blue enamel on it and is slightly bent but I love it. surreal to think I am the first person to pick that up in so long..

I heard that throughout the day about 10 hammered including a penny of Stephen were found along with about 50 roman grots in total, 2 brooches and 5 silver denarius. Not a bad day in all and very pleasing for me :) enjoy the pictures below !



( Above ) SOL INVICTO COMITI Follis of Constantine I struck at Trier in Germany


(Above ) AE3 of Valens with Victory Advancing Left 364-378 AD


(Above ) AE4 of Helena with "PAX PUBLICA" Reverse Pax Holding Olive Branch and Scepter


( Above ) Roman Enamelled Plate Brooch 2-3rd Century AD

No comments:

Post a Comment